Constructing the Campaign Setting
I prefer a 36-mile hex over the 24-mile hex, because certain math and mapping tasks are easier. To assist me in that, I put together a hex map that scales smoothly at 6x increments: 6x Hex Map.
It provides one giant hex, 36 medium hexes (which have number labels), and 1,296 small hexes (which covers the preferred ACKS map size, but radially symmetrical rather than rectangular). To “zoom in,” print off a new hex map page, choose a medium-sized hex, and write its number label in the upper right “Parent Hex” spot.
This map is free for personal use—if you want commercial use, drop me a line and we’ll talk.
Here’s my ACKS “campaign map” at 36-mile hex scale, focused on political boundaries and coast:
(I also have an incomplete 216-mile hex scale map, which shows the kingdoms past Bells of Dawn and the Summer Empire, but for ACKS, that’s “out of scope” right now and a bit too incomplete.)
Note that I’m missing four Class III cities in Broken Mountain (for Principalities Two, Three, Four, and Five) because I haven’t mapped them yet. There should also be at least two sizable cities in the visible portion of Bells of Dawn, one at the border to Broken Mountain, and another a bit lower down. Since the campaign won’t be in those for a while, though, I’m not sweating it.
Also not shown are the implied mountains which run from the northwestern tip of the peninsula to the southwest (the southern border of Broken Mountain runs up against and partially into the mountains). Everything on the map that isn’t Broken Mountain, Bells of Dawn, or ocean, is wilderness.
And here’s the regional map, again, scrubbed a bit. This shows smaller urban areas, and has a start on some of the points of interest (two major lakes the players know about). The political divisions are Duchies—note that the Duchy of Snake River is not shown as separate from the Duchy of Goblinwood on this map, although it actually is a separate duchy.
The river flowing north out of Broken Mountain (city) is Snake River, and is the biggest trade line in Broken Mountain (the second largest follows the northern border of All-Road, into Principality Four, and goes toward Bells of Dawn).
Broken Mountain has the following numbers of high-level individuals:
- King Deiderich Fuchsbach II of Broken Mountain. Aristocrat. Principality One, Duchy of Goblinwood and Broken Mountain as a whole.
- Lady Melancholy of Court of Light. Illusionist. Principality One.
- Sir Ciara ó Súilleabháin of Cane. Diplomat. Principality One, Duchy of Snake River.
- Lord Seamus ó Caellaighe of Cane. Aristocrat. Principality Two.
- Lady Ainnir ó Ainníleas of Cane. Fighter. Principality Five.
- Duke Brennan ó Ainníleas of Storm Mountain. Aristocrat. Principality One, Duchy of Sorrows Lake.
- Princess Gretchen Fuchsbach of Broken Mountain. Thief. (No rulership, but lives in Principality One.)
- Lord Aodh ó Ainníleas of Storm Mountain. Aristocrat. Principality Four.
- Princess Ada Fuchsbach of Broken Mountain. Cleric (Night). Principality Four, Duchy of Mountain Lake.
- Governor Haral of Cane. Fighter. Principality One, Duchy of Snake River, Cane.
- Governess Mòr ó Baoghill of Sorrows Lake. Cleric (Oath). Principality One, Duchy of Goblinwood, Broken Mountain.
- Duke Lucas Schäfer of Broken Mountain. Aristocrat. Principality One, Duchy of West Valley.
- Plus 8 others.
- Duchess Hanna Fuchsbach of Bellpath. Aristocrat. Principality One, Duchy of All-Road.
- Duke Taraghlan ó Baoghill of Sorrows Lake. Diplomat. Principality One, Duchy of Olivia.
- Duke Taog ó Ainníleas of Storm Mountain. Cleric (Dunatis). Principality One, Duchy of Grim Bowl.
- Countess Rawn the Elegant of Cottonmouth Way. Diplomat. Principality One, Duchy of Goblinwood, Black Marble Mountainside County.
- Governor Eadan ó Cleireigh of Blue Field. Aristocrat. Principality One, Duchy of All-Road, Bellpath.
- Governess Sofie Schäfer of Broken Mountain. Cleric (Glitter). Principality One, Duchy of Snake River, West Lake.
- Prince Jonas Fuchsbach of Broken Mountain. Diplomat. Principality Three.
- Plus 24 others.
- Princess Gisella Fuchsbach of Broken Mountain. Diplomat. (No rulership, but lives in Principality One.)
- Governess Una ó Baoghill of Sorrows Lake. Diplomat. Principality One, Duchy of Olivia, Olive Grove.
- Governor Paul Fuchsbach of Broken Mountain. Aristocrat. Principality One, Duchy of Snake River, Snakebit.
- Plus 88 others.
Principality One has 214 thousand families; as the capitol principality, however, it possesses a larger percentage of the kingdom’s high-level individuals: 2×14 (all), 1×13 (33%), 2×12 (50%), 3×11 (27%), 6×10 (19%), 25×9 (27%).
The cities of Principality One are:
- Cane. 20,000 families. Class I. Duchy of Snake River (approx. 32,000 families, most of them urban). Located on the Snake River coast, directly between Principalities Two and Three, Cane is the major trade hub of Broken Mountain, and the largest city in the kingdom. Administrated by Governor Haral.
- Broken Mountain. 4,280 families. Class III. Duchy of Goblinwood, Broken Hills County. Excluding Cane, the largest city in Principality One, and the capitol of the kingdom. Technically ruled by King Freiderich, administrated by Governess Mòr.
- Black Rock Bend. 1,142 families. Class IV. Duchy of Goblinwood, Black Marble Mountainside County. Excluding Broken Mountain, the largest city in the duchy. The central hub for the marble trade. Ruled directly by Countess Rawn.
- Bellpath. 986 families. Class IV. Duchy of All-Road, Three Corners County. The largest urban center in All-Road. Acts as a gateway for Bells of Dawn trade, with fees that go toward the maintenance of the All-Road itself. Administrated by Governor Eadan.
- West Lake. 686 families. Class IV. A trade stop along Snake River, fed largely by West Valley duhcy villages and crafters but technically part of the Snake River duchy. Administrated by Governess Sofie.
- Olive Grove. 680 families. Class IV. A sizable but backwater town of consolidated olive merchants. Administrated by Governess Una.
- Snakebit. 636 families. Class IV. A small township consisting of an inordinate number of ship repair and construction shops … Snakebit is founded on the worst part of Snake River. Administrated by Governor Paul.